The mandate of the Dispensing Optician Examining Committee is to protect the public's health and safety and to promote the welfare of the state by regulating the competency and quality of professional health care providers under its jurisdiction. The committee accomplishes this through a variety of activities working with the Department of Health, Health Systems Quality Assurance division.
- Committee Information
The examining committee consists of three persons primarily engaged in the business of dispensing opticians and who currently hold a valid license.
Reimbursement and Compensation
- Reasonable allowances will be provided to cover reasonable and necessary subsistence and lodging expenses while engaged on official business.
- Transportation expenses will be reimbursed or paid based on the method deemed most advantageous or economical to the state.
- Members are eligible to receive compensation in an amount not to exceed fifty dollars for each day during which the member attends an official meeting of the group or performs statutorily prescribed duties approved by the chairperson of the group.
Duties of the Dispensing Optician Examining Committee include:
- Providing recommendations on the apprenticeship program.
- Participating in policy development.
- Providing recommendations on continuing education or continuing competency requirements.
- Providing recommendations on standards of professional conduct or practice.
- The committee meets about four times a year. Historically, meetings have been scheduled in March, June, September, and December during business hours.
- If you're interested in applying for an appointment to the Dispensing Optician Examining Committee see our website. Select the "Application – Secretary Appointed." Note on the application that you are applying for the Dispensing Optician Examining Committee.
- Committee Members
Name and term expiration date of members
Member Term End Desiree McClung, dispensing optician January 31, 2026 Kathy Kristjanson, dispensing optician, vice-chairperson January 14, 2024 Monica Brenzel, dispensing optician January 31, 2026
- Committee Meetings
All meetings are subject to change and start at 9 a.m. unless otherwise noted.
Date Activity Documents
September 25, 2023
Microsoft Teams Meeting
Meeting ID: 272 564 669 878
Or call in (audio only)
+1 564-999-2000,,409141799# United States, Olympia
833-322-1218,,409141799# United States (Toll-free)
Phone Conference ID: 409 141 799#
Labor and Industries
7273 Linderson Way S.W., Room S119
Tumwater, WA 98501
Regular meeting Agenda (PDF)
- Committee Meeting Minutes