The COVID-19 vaccine is available to people 6 months and older.
April 19, 2023 - Following FDA regulatory action, CDC has taken steps to simplify COVID-19 vaccine recommendations and allow more flexibility for people at higher risk who want the option of added protection from additional COVID-19 vaccine doses.
These changes include:
- CDC’s new recommendations allow an additional updated (bivalent) vaccine dose for adults ages 65 years and older and additional doses for people who are immunocompromised. This allows more flexibility for healthcare providers to administer additional doses to immunocompromised patients as needed.
- Monovalent (original) mRNA COVID-19 vaccines will no longer be recommended for use in the United States.
- CDC recommends that everyone ages 6 years and older receive an updated (bivalent) mRNA COVID-19 vaccine, regardless of whether they previously completed their (monovalent) primary series.
- Individuals ages 6 years and older who have already received an updated mRNA vaccine do not need to take any action unless they are 65 years or older or immunocompromised.
- For young children, multiple doses continue to be recommended and will vary by age, vaccine, and which vaccines were previously received.
Alternatives to mRNA COVID-19 vaccines remain available for people who cannot or will not receive an mRNA vaccine. CDC’s recommendations for use of (monovalent) Novavax or Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen COVID-19 vaccines were not affected by these changes.
The Washington State Department of Health is currently reviewing and updating our webpages and supporting resources to reflect these new recommendations.
Visit Vaccine Locator to find and schedule an appointment.
Washington State COVID-19 Information
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) vaccine
- COVID-19 vaccine requirements for health care and long term care workers
- COVID-19 vaccination staffing resource request for primary care providers
- Pharmacy partnerships
- Healthcare provider resources & recommendations
General questions can be sent to email@example.com. Any media inquiries can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also subscribe to the weekly COVID-19 Vaccine Partner Newsletter on GovDelivery.