The Healthy Nutrition Guidelines for Institutions ensure that employees and custodial populations have healthy food and beverage choices. They apply to state agencies that supervise and care for clients, inmates, and patients.
Guidelines and Examples
- Implementation guide for institutions (PDF)
- Food and beverage standards for meals
- Standards for scheduled snacks
- Excluded populations and exceptions – The Guidelines do not apply to seniors or patients under Therapeutic Care and Correctional Populations. There are additional exceptions for some agencies, occasions, and circumstances.
- Recommended Foods and Beverages – A list of foods and beverages that do and do not meet the Guidelines.
- Healthy breakfast and refreshment examples – Sample meals that meet the Guidelines for breakfast and light refreshments.
- Healthy lunch and dinner examples – Sample meals that meet the Guidelines for lunch and dinner. This resource includes both plates and boxed meal options.
- Accommodating special dietary needs – Information on vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, and dairy-free diets.
- Correctional facility Train-the Trainer toolkit (PDF) – Training on Executive Order 13-06 and the Dietary Guidelines for Americans.