Laws and Rules
The Cannabis Patient Protection Act codified into RCW 69.51A , integrates the medical market with the regulated recreational market. Under the act, the Department of Health adopted rules for a medical cannabis authorization database, training and certification of medical cannabis consultants, and product compliance. The department was also required to produce several bill-related reports.
Primary goals of the law
- Clarify what is meant by the medical use of cannabis.
- Ensure patients have access to higher quality products to meet their medical needs.
- Allow for state sales and use tax breaks for medical cannabis patients who are entered into the authorization database.
- Provide protection from arrest and prosecution for patients who are entered into the authorization database.
Medical cannabis laws
- Medical Cannabis State Law – chapter 69.51A RCW
- Uniform Controlled Substances Act – chapter 69.50 RCW
Medical cannabis rules
- Chapter 246-71 WAC – Authorization database
- Chapter 246-72 WAC – Certified medical marijuana consultant
- Chapter 246-70 WAC – Compliant products
Growing, producing/processing, retail stores and cooperatives laws and rules – Liquor and Cannabis Board
- I-502 – Marijuana Retail Stores (PDF)
- Chapter 314-55 WAC – Marijuana Licenses, Application Process, Requirements, and Reporting