Medical Cannabis Consultants, Trainers, and Credentialing

What is a certified consultant?

A "certificate holder" or certified consultant is a person holding a valid medical cannabis consultant certificate issued by the secretary under Chapter 69.51A RCW.

Current regulations require a licensed cannabis retail store with a medical endorsement to have a certified medical cannabis consultant on staff.

A certified consultant who has an active credential issued by the Department of Health may:

  • Enter patient and designated provider information from the authorization form into the medical cannabis database and create the medical cannabis recognition card.
  • Assist the patient with selecting products that may help with their qualifying condition.
  • Describe risks and benefits of methods for using products.
  • Give advice on ways to properly store products and keep them safe from children and pets.
  • Show how to properly use products.
  • Answer questions about the medical cannabis law.

Consultants may not:

  • provide medical advice.
  • diagnose any conditions.
  • recommend changing current treatment(s) in place of cannabis.
  • open and use actual products when demonstrating how to use.
  • may not provide consulting services defined under WAC 246-72-030 without an active credential.

For additional information, view our Medical Cannabis Consultant FAQs.

Apply Online

The Washington State Department of Health requires that only the applicant or licensee may complete an attestation for an application, or for continuing education. This is a legal attestation. Completion of the attestation by anyone other than the applicant may constitute a reportable felony offense. The Department of Health can take action against people for perjury or for making a false statement they know to be false.

For further information please see:

Washington State law authorizes the Department of Health to obtain fingerprint-based background checks for licensing purposes. This check may be through the Washington State Patrol and the Federal Bureau of Investigation. We may require this if you have lived in another state or if you have a criminal record in Washington State. This would be at your own expense.

You must pay the application fee at the time you apply. You may use a credit or debit card with a VISA or MasterCard logo, or pay by ACH/E-Check. Please make sure your address on the payment information screen matches the address your financial institution has on file for you. This fee is non-refundable. There is a convenience fee to apply online.

If we need additional documentation, we'll notify you by email.

There are additional items you may need, in addition to your application:

If you have questions, contact our Customer Service staff at 360-236-4700.

Getting started

Online Application Instructions

Online application instructions are on our website.

Online applications are accessed through SecureAccess Washington (SAW) security portal. You'll need to add the Department of Health Online Application Portal - Healthcare Enforcement and Licensing Management System (HELMS) Portal service to access the online applications. The first time you add the service, you'll be prompted to answer several questions to verify your identity. The questions will match the name and address you provide with the existing public record information. Because the questions come from public record, you need to provide a complete address and your full legal name as it appears on your driver's license or birth certificate. You may find you have to enter a former address, especially if your address has changed recently (within the past one or two years) to get the right questions that pertain to your identity. If you don't have sufficient information in the public record to verify your identity and aren't currently credentialed by the Department of Health, then you'll need to submit a paper application, as you won't be able to access the Online Application Portal.

Once you have completed the process, and submitted your application, you will receive an email with your pending credential number, or you may look on Provider Credential Search. Refer to this credential number any time you contact Department of Health or submit paperwork.

Apply on Paper

Additional items to be submitted to complete your application

Additional Information

  • The application is considered incomplete if requested information is left blank – write "N/A" or place a line through section instead of leaving blank.
  • The initial certification will expire on your birthday unless the certification is issued within 90 days of your birthday. Certifications must be renewed every year by your birthday. A courtesy renewal notice will be mailed to your address on record. You must keep your address current with us. Any renewal postmarked or presented to the department after midnight on the expiration date is late.
  • Information regarding the medical cannabis consultant program on our website.
Fee Schedule

The following non-refundable fees will be charged for certificates.

WAC 246-72-990 – Refund of fees - Fees submitted with applications for initial certificates, renewal, and other fees are non-refundable.

Non-Refundable Fee Type Fee Amount
Application for certificate $95
Renewal of certificate $90
Late renewal penalty $50
Expired certificate reissuance $50
Duplicate certificate $10
Verification of credential $15
Certification Requirements



  • You must be 21 years of age or older as required under WAC 246-72.

Verification documents

  • Proof of successful completion of the training from the program where the applicant completed the training. Provide copy of the front and back of the training certificate.
  • Verification of completion of a cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) course. Provide copy of front and back of the CPR card.
  • Proof of 21 years of age or older. Acceptable forms of proof are a copy of your valid driver's license or other government-issued identification card, United States passport, or certified birth certificate. Note: If your legal name has changed since birth, please provide legal documentation of your name change. Legal documentation may include an official marriage certificate or an order by a court.

Process for approving and denying applications

Credentialing staff members review the application and supporting documents to make an initial determination on eligibility. Applications that have questionable data answers or have questionable verifying documents are forwarded to the exception application process for determination by the appropriate disciplining authority. If an application is denied, the applicant will be formally notified and have the opportunity for a hearing.

Renewal requirements

Certifications must be renewed every year by your birthday. A courtesy renewal notice will be mailed to your address that we have on record. You must keep your address current with us and complete all continuing education requirements. Any renewal postmarked or presented to the department after midnight on the expiration date is late.

Note: Certified consultants may provide consultant services only while employed in a retail store with a medical endorsement.