The Center for Health Statistics has significant delays for custom data files and research requests. Standard data files are currently available to order with a valid DSA.
f you have questions, you can email CHS.DataRequests@doh.wa.gov. Normal turnaround times are delayed.
View the Data
The Department of Health provides information through interactive dashboards. These dashboards allow users to:
- Find out more about our death data
- Interact with charts, maps, and graphs
- Export the data as a spreadsheet
2021 data updates for the death dashboards have been delayed because population data to calculate rates have been unavailable. 2021 WA resident counts by county, sex, age, and race (xlsx)
How to purchase files
These are record level data files. Working with these data files requires use of spreadsheet, database management, or statistical software that are not provided. A Data Sharing Agreement (DSA) is required to access all vital records data. Sample Data Sharing Agreement
A DSA documents the conditions under which the Department of Health shares limited datasets containing potentially identifiable information with outside entities. By signing the DSA, the recipient(s) of the data agrees to not link information with any other information that could identify an individual or use the information to contact any individuals. Data may not be disclosed unless agreed upon in the DSA.
Data files available for purchase
Death Statistical Files (1968 to 2021 final annual files and preliminary quarterly 2022 files)
Information about decedent (age, education, date of birth, race, occupation, marital status, etc.), the place of death and birth, cause-of-death codes, injury information, certifier type, dispositions, etc. Annual and preliminary files available.
- Data Dictionary and Crosswalks- current (Excel)
- Data Dictionary 1968-2015 (Word)
- Washington State Death File Data Users' Guide, 2021 (PDF)
Cause of Death Literals Files (2003 to 2021 final annual files and preliminary quarterly 2022 files)
Includes text the medical certifier reported to describe the underlying and contributing causes of death as well as description of the injury. Annual and preliminary files available.
Death Names (1968 to 2021 final annual files and preliminary quarterly 2022 files)
Names, Social Security number, address of residence, date of birth, date of death, sex, age and coded underlying cause of death. Annual and preliminary files available.
Geocoded Death Data (1980 to 2021 final annual files)
Geographic detail about decedent's residence (e.g., census tract, latitude, longitude, school district, etc.). Annual files available.
- How to Report Cause of Death
- Learn about the law and view reports on our Death With Dignity Act webpages.
- Learn about the Physicians Orders for Life Sustaining Treatment (POLST) and download a form.
- Vital Statistics Technical Notes (PDF) provides more information about all vital statistics data, including data quality and recommended uses.
- 2010-2020 Highlights – Vital Statistics Factsheet (PDF)
- Overview Table (Excel) provides a historical context for interpreting vital statistics in Washington State from 1910 through 2020. This table shows live births, deaths, infant deaths, and fetal deaths for Washington residents.
Sign up for email notifications
Sign up for email notification for notification of data file availability and updates.
Our office has these topics: CHARS Data Users, Vital Statistics Data, and BRFSS Data Users.
Email us at: CHS.DataRequests@doh.wa.gov