This page contains policies for the Washington WIC Program. If you have questions about policy and procedures, please contact staff at the state WIC office:
- Call 1-800-841-1410, choose option 3, then option 1 for Policy Support.
- Email email@example.com.
Policy chapters revised to align with the Cascades software have a different format than those written for the Client Services system. We are in the process of revising the Client Services chapters to reflect the terminology and practices used in Cascades.
All files are in PDF format unless otherwise noted.
Required Local Agency Policies, Permissions or Approvals
The Required Local Agency Policies, Approvals or Permissions (PDF):
- Lists required local agency policies for each chapter of the WIC Policy and Procedure manual.
- Identifies situations when a local agency must have permission or approval from the state WIC program to perform an action but doesn’t have to develop a written policy.
Post Public Health Emergency (PHE) Policies
Beginning September 1, 2023, Washington WIC agencies must offer in-person appointments for participants who want to come into the clinic for their services; and continue to offer remote services for participants who want to complete their appointments remotely.
Washington WIC received the following two waivers for providing post PHE services effective September 1st:
- Physical presence for each certification and subsequent certification
- Remote benefit issuance
We’ll post updated policies reflecting the post PHE waivers soon. Until September 1st, the policies listed in the Providing Remote WIC Services section below are in effect.
Providing Remote WIC Services
Follow these policies when providing remote WIC services through August 31, 2023.
- Appointment Flow Chart (PDF)
- Domestic Violence Assessment Question during Remote Services (PDF)
- Mailed WIC Card Letter
- Measurement and Bloodwork Information Form (PDF)
- Presume Eligible (PE) Remote Certification (PDF)
- Remote Certification (PDF)
- Remote Mid-Certification Health Assessment (PDF)
- Remote Transfers (PDF)
- Separation of Duties Waiver File Review (PDF)
2023 Revision Log (PDF) (April 2023)
Volume 1 Revision Log (PDF) (April 2023)
- Chapter 1–Positive Client Relations - Quality Service Delivery (PDF) (January 2019)
- Chapter 2–Program Compliance (PDF) (May 2020)
- Chapter 3–Application and Processing Standards (PDF) (April 2021)
- Chapter 4–Vacant Chapter
- Chapter 5–Priority System and Waiting List (PDF) (January 2021)
- DRAFT Chapter 6–Income (PDF) (January 2019)
- Chapter 7–Rights and Responsibilities (PDF) (January 2019)
- Chapter 8–Farmers Market Nutrition Program (PDF) (Effective June 1, 2023)
- Chapter 9–Anthropometrics (PDF)
- Chapter 10–Hematology (PDF)
- Chapter 11–Assessment (PDF) (August 2021)
- Chapter 12–Referrals and Coordinating Services (PDF) (April 2021)
- Chapter 13 - Vacant Chapter
- Chapter 14 – Nutrition Risk Criteria (PDF) (Effective September 2022)
- Chapter 14 Table of Revisions (PDF) (September 2022)
- Staff Tool: Nutrition Risk Factors (Excel) (September 2022)
- Staff Tool: Professional Discretion High Risk (PDHR) (PDF)
- Staff Tool: Health Conditions and Nutrition Practices to Assigned Risks (PDF)
- Staff Tool: Facts for WIC Staff About Feeding Donor Milk (PDF)
- Chapter 15–Breastfeeding (PDF) (May 2022)
- Chapter 16–Nutrition Education (PDF)
Required Guidance Documents: (March 2022)
- Nutrition Education at the Initial and Subsequent Certification and Presume Eligible Complete Assessment (PDF)
- Nutrition Education at the Mid-Certification Health Assessment (PDF)
- Second Nutrition Education – Individual (PDF)
- Second Nutrition Education – Group Class (PDF)
- Second Nutrition Education – High Risk with a WIC Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN) (PDF)
- Second Nutrition Education – High Risk by a Non-WIC Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN) (PDF)
- Second Nutrition Education – Online Education (PDF)
- Staff Tool: Required Documentation at Nutrition Education Contacts
- Chapter 17–WIC Eligibility (PDF) (August 2021)
- DRAFT Chapter 18–Certification Issues (PDF) (January 2020)
- Chapter 19–Special Living Situations (PDF) (October 2022)
- Chapter 20–Notification, Fair Hearings and Civil Rights (PDF)
- Chapter 21–Transfers/Verification of Certification (PDF) (April 2021)
- Chapter 22–Issue WIC Food Benefits (PDF) (June 2022)
- Chapter 23–WIC Foods (PDF) (June 2022)
- Chapter 24–Medical Documentation for Formulas and Foods (PDF) (June 2022)
- Chapter 25–Legal Considerations and Confidentiality (PDF)
We are revising all Volume 2 chapters. Completed chapters are posted.
Volume 2 Revision Log (PDF) (October 2022)
- Chapter 1–WIC Contract (PDF)
- Chapter 2 – Nutrition Services Plan (PDF) (April 2020)
- DRAFT Chapter 3–Budget Report and WIC Expense Report (PDF)
- Chapter 4–Allowable Costs (PDF) (June 2022)
- Chapter 5 – Purchasing and Inventory (PDF) (June 2022)
- Chapter 6–Monitoring and Audits (PDF) (October 2022)
- Chapter 7–Record Retention (PDF)
- Chapter 8 – Electronic Devices, Security, and Service Interruption Plan (PDF) (June 2022)