Teaching patients self-management skills is vital to controlling their asthma. Most patients lack the skills and knowledge they need to do this well.
Education should be provided at all points of care, including:
- Emergency departments and hospitals.
- Community sites.
Asthma Home Visits: The Three-Visit Model Tool Kit
Asthma home visiting is an effective intervention to help people with asthma gain control of their symptoms and improve their quality of life. From 2011-2014 the Washington State Department of Health Asthma Program partnered with various Federally Qualified Health Centers, county public health departments, tribal clinics and other organizations statewide to pilot a three-visit model.
This tool kit (PDF) is intended for organizations who want to start a new asthma home visit program or add to an existing program. It includes descriptions of each visit, pilot program data, lessons learned, successes, and more. The forms provided in the appendix of tools are for public use and can be edited to fit different organization's needs. The guidance provided in this tool kit is not intended to replace comprehensive training prior to providing home visiting services to the public.
Appendix of Tools
- Program Materials Checklist (Word)
- Home Visit Form 1 (Word)
- Home Visit Form 2 (Word)
- Home Visit Form 3 (Word)
- Participant Recommendation List (Word)
- Sorry We Missed You Card (Word)
- Follow-up Call Form (Word)
- Asthma Control Test for Adults (Word)
- Asthma Control Test for Children Age 4-12 (Word)
- TRACK for Children Age 0-4 (Word)
- Sample Data Tracking Log (Excel)
- Program Flyer (Word)
- Program Brochure (Word)
- Participant Feedback Survey (Word)
- Association of Asthma Educators
- The Washington State Department of Health and the Washington Asthma Initiative developed Good Asthma Care on a Desert Island (PDF), a six-page, easy-to-use summary of the EPR-3 guidelines.
- The Asthma Control Test (ACT) – healthcare providers should regularly monitor patients' asthma control. The ACT gives an accurate measure of asthma control. Available in both adult English (PDF) Spanish (PDF) and pediatric English (PDF) Spanish (PDF) versions.
- National Asthma Educator Certification Board
- Free videos on reducing triggers in the home (Northwest Clean Air Agency)
- Controlling and Reducing Asthma Triggers, available in English and Spanish
- Mold in Your Home, available in English and Spanish, and for the hearing impaired.