How to Correct a Record

We currently have a six (6) month processing turnaround time.
  • If you submitted a product or processing fee, the date your check or money order is cashed is the date we received your request, which helps you estimate the time left for processing.
We are working diligently to reduce the turnaround times. If your request has not been processed after six (6) months, please call us at (360) 236-4300. We appreciate your patience, thank you.
  • We can only correct certificates for births, deaths, marriages or divorces that took place in Washington State.

Ordering or correcting a death certificate for the FEMA COVID-19 Funeral Assistance Program

You can use the Affidavit for Correction form and required proof for most corrections. The form summarizes how to make a correction.

  • The form is also printed on the back of every certificate. Print the updated form if the revision date is before 1/15/2015.

How to correct a certificate with the Affidavit for Correction

For each application, you must submit the following:

  1. A completed and signed Affidavit for Correction (DOH 422-034) (English) (DOCX) or Declaración Jurada de Corrección (DOH 422-034) (Español) (PDF)
  2. Copy of your government issued photo identification card
  3. Proof of relationship, if required
  4. Any required supporting proof documents

Mail    In-Person

By Mail

Center for Health Statistics
Attn: Corrections
P.O. Box 47814
Olympia, WA 98504-7814

Correcting certificates

Use the webpages below for the certificate you want to correct.

Birth certificate

  • For a child under 18
  • For a person 18 or older

Death certificate

  • Demographic changes
  • Cause of death changes

Marriage or divorce certificate

Ordering a certificate with a correction request

  • Send completed certificate order form with your correction request. Include all required documents referenced on the certificate application instruction page.
  • Certificate will be issued after the correction has been processed.

Birth Certificate Application (en español)

Death Certificate Application (en español)

Marriage & Divorce Application (en español)

Exchanging a certificate with a correction request

If you currently have a certified copy of a certificate that was issued less than one year ago, send in the certified copy of the certificate with your correction request; we will exchange the certificate at no charge.

Contact us

Email us at

Helpful links

Court-ordered name change
Gender change
Ordering certificates