Sex Designation Change on a Birth Certificate

We currently have a three (3) to four (4) month processing turnaround time.
  • If you submitted a product or processing fee, the date your check or money order is cashed is the date we received your request, which helps you estimate the time left for processing.
We are working diligently to reduce the turnaround times. If your request has not been processed after four (4) months, please call us at (360) 236-4300. We appreciate your patience, thank you.

Under this rule, people who were born in Washington State and want to change their sex designation on their birth certificate to reflect their gender identity may do so by completing the appropriate request form. The new rule added “X” as a third sex designation option.

“X” means a gender that is not exclusively male or female, including, but not limited to, intersex, agender, amalgagender, androgynous, bigender, demigender, female-to-male, genderfluid, genderqueer, male-to-female, neutrois, nonbinary, pangender, third sex, transgender, transsexual, Two Spirit, and unspecified.

What is required?

After January 27, 2018, you need to complete the appropriate Sex Designation Change request form. A court order or a letter from your physician will not be accepted.

Adult (over 18 years of age or an emancipated minor)

Minors (under 18 years of age and not emancipated)

  • The Request to Change Sex Designation on a Birth Certificate for a Minor form (DOH 422-144)(PDF) must be completed and signed by a parent or legal guardian on behalf of the minor wanting to change the sex designation on their birth certificate. Legal guardians acting on behalf of the minor must include proof of legal guardianship (i.e. certified court order).
  • The Request to Change Sex Designation on a Birth Certificate for a Minor form (DOH 422-144)(PDF) must be signed by a licensed health care provider or licensed mental health care provider, whose scope of practice allows them to determine that the requested change is consistent with the minor's identity.
  • If your child is under 18 years old and you have not legally changed their given first and middle names, you can submit an Affidavit for Correction (DOH 422-034)(PDF) with consent of all listed parents to change the first and middle names. If your child's name has been legally changed on their birth certificate, you must provide a certified legal name change court order with this request form. If you want their full current legal name amended on their birth certificate, indicate by checking the appropriate box. Additional proof documentation might be requested.

Examples of licensed health care and mental health care providers include, but are not limited to the following:

  • Licensed medical, osteopathic, and naturopathic physician
  • Psychiatrist
  • Psychologist
  • Advanced registered nurse practitioner
  • Licensed osteopathic physician assistant
  • Physician assistant
  • Advanced social worker
  • Independent clinical social worker
  • Marriage and family therapist
  • Mental health counselor

Applicable Fees

There is no fee to amend the record. If you want a certified copy of the new birth certificate, complete a Birth Certificate Order Form (DOH 422-182)(PDF) and include $25 for each certified copy requested. Make check or money order payable to DOH.

Mail    In-Person

By Mail

Mailing Address  

Center for Health Statistics
Department of Health
PO Box 47814
Olympia, WA 98504-7814

Use by government agencies

At this time we are unsure if other agencies, such as Passport, will accept these amended certificates. For those that include change of sex, nothing on the record will indicate a change was made. This will make it difficult to connect the current record with the previous name on other documentation. In some cases, a court order might be needed for full use of the new name and sex designation.

Ordering a certificate with a correction request

  • Send completed certificate order form with your correction request. Include all required documents referenced on the certificate application instruction page.
  • Certificate will be issued after the correction has been processed.

Birth Certificate Application (DOH 422-182)(PDF) (en español)

Death Certificate Applicatio(DOH 422-184)(PDF) (en español)

Marriage & Divorce Applicatio(DOH 422-104)(PDF) (en español)

Exchanging a certificate with a correction request

If you currently have a certified copy of a certificate that was issued less than one year ago, send in the certified copy of the certificate with your correction request; we will exchange the certificate at no charge.

Contact Us

If you have any questions, contact us by email