Single Status Letter

What is a single status letter?

A single status letter states that you are not currently married to anyone in Washington state. Before you can get married in some countries, the country will require a document stating you are not currently married. You should contact the country where you will get married to find out if they require confirmation of single status.

Who qualifies?

Anyone who resided in Washington state for a period of time can order a single status letter. 18 years or older.

What does the single status letter contain?

The single status letter will say we do not have any record that you are currently married. We can only provide the confirmation from the time you are 18 or from the time of a previous divorce.

For example:

  • If you request a letter in 2013 and you married in 2004 and divorced in 2006 in Washington, the letter will state that we do not have any marriage on record from 2006 to the current date.
  • If you request a letter in 2013 and have never been married and you turned 18 in 2004, the letter will state that we do not have any marriage on record from 2004 to the current date.

How do I get a single status letter?

To request a single status letter:

  • Call our contracted vendor VitalChek at 1-866-687-1464 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
  • Pay the applicable fee(s). Fees start at $25 per single status letter, which covers a 10 year search period. Other fees may apply depending on how many years need searching, ordering, or shipping method.

A vital records customer service representatives may contact you to verify information.

How much does it cost?

The cost will depend on how many years we need to search for records to confirm that you have never been married or that you are divorced. A single status letter costs $25 for each ten-year range of records searched. A customer service representative will provide you with the total cost when you order the letter.

Why do I have to call to get a single status letter?

Single status letters require different information depending on your circumstances. A trained customer service representative will ask you the right questions to get you the information you need.

Please be prepared to answer the following questions:

  • Are you a current resident of Washington state?
  • If yes, how many years have you been a resident of Washington state?
  • Years married?
  • Have you been divorced in Washington state?
  • If yes, what was the date the divorce was finalized?