WIC Supports Breastfeeding
WIC is here to help you meet your breastfeeding goals. We have breastfeeding experts on staff to answer your questions and address your concerns before and after your baby is born. We know breastfeeding can sometimes be challenging in the beginning, but it gets easier. WIC can help you through these challenges and keep you breastfeeding.
It's normal to have questions about breastfeeding and your new baby
Most moms have questions about breastfeeding. Your WIC staff can help you:
- Prepare for breastfeeding before your baby is born.
- When breastfeeding isn't going like you expected.
- When your baby cries and won't sleep.
- When your baby wants to eat more, or more often than before.
- Make a plan before you return to work or school so you can continue breastfeeding.
- Learn what to do if you or your baby are sick.
WIC supports breastfeeding moms by providing:
- The greatest variety and amount of nutrient-rich foods for moms who breastfeed the most.
- Fully breastfeeding and partially breastfeeding moms with WIC foods for up to a year.
- Access to breastfeeding experts, including lactation consultants and peer counselors.
- Breast pumps for moms working or going to school.
- Extra support for moms with special health needs and at-risk babies.