- If you submitted a product or processing fee, the date your check or money order is cashed is the date we received your request, which helps you estimate the time left for processing.
- We can only correct certificates for births, deaths, marriages or divorces that took place in Washington State.
Ordering or correcting a death certificate for the FEMA COVID-19 Funeral Assistance Program
You can use the Affidavit for Correction form and required proof for most corrections. The form summarizes how to make a correction.
- Download the most recent form:
- The form is also printed on the back of every certificate. Print the updated form if the revision date is before 1/15/2015.
How to correct a certificate with the Affidavit for Correction
- Complete the 422-034-Affidavit for Correction (English) (DOCX) or 422-034-Declaración Jurada de Corrección (Español) (PDF)
- Gather required proof, if needed
- Submit the documents to the Department of Health
Center for Health Statistics
P.O. Box 47814
Olympia, WA 98504-7814
Use the webpages below for the certificate you want to correct.
Marriage or divorce certificate
Ordering a certificate with a correction request
- Send completed certificate order form with your correction request. Include all required documents referenced on the certificate application instruction page.
- Certificate will be issued after the correction has been processed.
Birth Certificate Application (en español)
Death Certificate Application (en español)
Marriage & Divorce Application (en español)
Exchanging a certificate with a correction request
If you currently have a certified copy of a certificate that was issued less than one year ago, send in the certified copy of the certificate with your correction request; we will exchange the certificate at no charge.
Email us at VitalRecordsCorrections@doh.wa.gov.