Medical Cannabis Consultant Certification Program

Certified Consultant

Current regulations require a licensed cannabis retail store with a medical endorsement to have a certified medical cannabis consultant on staff. A certified consultant who has an active credential issued by the Department of Health may:

  • Enter patient and designated provider information from the authorization form into the medical cannabis database and create the medical cannabis recognition card.
  • Assist the patient with selecting products that may help with their qualifying condition.
  • Describe risks and benefits of methods for using products.
  • Give advice on ways to properly store products and keep them safe from children and pets.
  • Show how to properly use products.
  • Answer questions about the medical cannabis law.

Consultants may not:

  • provide medical advice.
  • diagnose any conditions.
  • recommend changing current treatment(s) in place of cannabis.
  • open and use actual products when demonstrating how to use.
  • may not provide consulting services defined under WAC 246-72-030 without an active credential.

Consultant certification requirements

Per medical cannabis laws and rules, to become a certified medical cannabis consultant you must:

Update contact information

If you have had a name change or have moved since receiving your consultant certification, we recommend you complete and submit the contact information change form.

Order copy of certification

If you need a copy of your certification, mail a check or money order for $10 made payable to the Department of Health. Indicate that you're requesting a duplicate certification and include your certification number.

If it's within 90 days of your expiration date, you may renew your certification and receive an updated copy.

Renew certification

Consultant certifications expire on your birthday each year. A courtesy renewal notice will be mailed to your address on record. You must keep your address current with us. You may renew online prior to expiration through Secure Access Washington (SAW). If your certification has expired, you will need to either renew by mail or in-person.

Continuing education requirements

Under WAC 246-72-100, continuing education is required every year around the time of renewal. The Department of Health sends certificate holders a courtesy renewal notice which includes the date continuing education is required. It's best to start the renewal process early to avoid an expired consultant certificate. Please see the medical cannabis continuing education requirements webpage to learn more.

Questions about your application?

All consultant certification applications, including renewals, are handled by the department's customer service unit. There are three ways to check the status of an application:

Learn more

Back to top