All new certifiers must complete the Certifier Competency Training. Use the following materials to assure certifiers have the knowledge and skills to complete certifications and provide quality nutrition services to participants.
Certifier Competency Training Materials
- Please use this guidance for new certifiers who must complete the Certifier Competency Training in order to become a Competent Professional Authority (CPA).
- Please use this guidance for staff who are in the “temporary Competent Professional Authority (CPA)” status (i.e., completed the certifier competency training during the COVID-19 waiver period).
- Temporary CPAs didn’t complete the anthropometric and hematology training and observations and must complete these to provide in-person services.
In-person Certifier Competency Training Materials
When training new staff who complete in-person certifications, including anthropometric measurements and bloodwork, use the following documents:
- In-person Certifier Competency Training Documentation Form (PDF)
- In-person Certification Observation Checklist (PDF)
- Measurement and Hematology Observation Log (PDF)
- Post PHE Guidance for Completing Measurement and Hematology Observations (PDF)
Remote (COVID-19) Certifier Competency Training Materials
When training new Certifiers and while staff are not taking anthropometric measurements and are not completing bloodwork, please use the following documents as your guide:
- COVID-19 Certifier Competency Training Guidance (PDF)
- COVID-19 Certifier Competency Training Documentation Form (PDF)
- COVID-19 Certifier Competency Training Observation Tool (PDF)
Certifier Competency Training Worksheets (PDFs)
- Getting Started on WIC
- Cultural Humility and Implicit Bias
- Participant Confidentiality
- Nutrition Assessment
- Food Prescription and Benefit Issuance
- Nutrition Education
- Community Resources and Referrals
- Basic Nutrition
- Child Nutrition
- Infant Nutrition
- Prenatal Nutrition
- Postpartum Nutrition
Please share your feedback about the CCT process using the forms below.
Learning Center for Washington WIC Staff
We offer courses on a variety of topics in our Learning Center (LC) to support Certifier Competency Training. To create a LC account and see helpful tools visit our Learning Center page.
Coordinators must notify state WIC staff when a new certifier begins Certifier Competency Training. Complete and submit the Create LC User Account Form to WAWICtraining@doh.wa.gov to fulfill this requirement.
Please note: the LC courses are only available to Washington WIC staff.
Core WIC Training
We strongly encourage new certifiers to attend Core WIC Training in Olympia. This critical training provides certifiers an opportunity to grow their WIC knowledge and build skills for completing certifications. It's the best way to jump start the competency training and reduces training time in the clinic. You'll find the registration form, agenda, and other information on our Core WIC page.
Certifiers are required to complete a minimum of 12 hours of nutrition-focused continuing education each year.
Please use the Training Opportunities table (PDF) to find this year's in-person and online trainings. Please note that we will update this table on a frequent basis, as new trainings become available. We will announce any updates through Q-WIC Notes.
Coordinators must document continuing education training and may use the following sample training logs