- If you submitted a product or processing fee, the date your check or money order is cashed represents the verification of receipt. It also helps you estimate the time remaining before your request is processed.
We only change the names on birth certificates for:
- People who were born in Washington State.
- Parents who have had a legal name change and are changing their name on a birth certificate for a child who was born in Washington State.
Changing a Birth Certificate After a Court-Ordered Name Change
To request a change to a birth certificate after a court ordered legal name change, send:
- A CERTIFIED copy of the court-order name change. The court order will not be returned to you. Certified copies of court orders have an original signature or raised seal from the court clerk. We cannot accept photo copies.
AND one of the following:
- A completed 422-126-Court Order Legal Name Change Request Form
- A letter with the following six pieces of information as listed on current birth certificate:
- Name on record (first, middle, last)
- Date of birth (month, day, year)
- Place of birth (city or county)
- Mother/Parent full name listed on certificate (first, middle, last)
- Father/Parent full name listed on certificate (first, middle, last)
- Contact information (return mailing address and phone number)
A photo copy or certified copy of the birth certificate. We will not return the certified copy. If the certified copy was issued within one year, we will replace it at no charge.
If you would like a certified copy of the birth certificate reflecting the change, send:
- A certified copy of the birth certificate for replacement. We will exchange birth certificates up to one year from the date issued at no charge. The date issued is in the top right hand corner of the birth certificate.
- A 422-182-Birth Certificate Order Form (PDF) (en español) for a birth certificate. A personal check or money order of $25 for each birth certificate(s) you are purchasing.
Legal Name Change
DOH - Center for Health Statistics
PO Box 9709 Olympia, WA 98507-9709
Ordering a certificate with a correction request
- Send completed certificate order form with your correction request. Include all required documents referenced on the certificate application instruction page.
- Certificate will be issued after the correction has been processed.
Exchanging a certificate with a correction request
If you currently have a certified copy of a certificate that was issued less than one year ago, send in the certified copy of the certificate with your correction request; we will exchange the certificate at no charge.