According to the World Health Organization:
- About 1/4 of the world's population are infected with tuberculosis (TB) bacteria, Of those infected, 5-15% will become sick with TB disease. People with weakened immune systems are at even higher risk of becoming sick.
- In 2018, over 1.5 million people died worldwide from TB disease.
- TB is one of the top 10 causes of death worldwide and a leading killer of people who are HIV-positive.
COVID-19 and Tuberculosis
Health Advisory - Consider pulmonary TB disease in patients presenting with symptoms and risk factors consistent with TB, regardless of COVID-19 test results.
Afghan Arrival Resources
- General Afghan Health Resources, DOH Refugee Health Program
Fact sheets, webinars, videos, and other health resources to support new arrivals from Afghanistan.
- TB-Specific Resources for New Afghan Arrivers, TB Controllers
Entry requirements, services available, health recommendations, and TB Education Materials resources for supporting the arrival of Afghan evacuees.
TB Drug Shortages
Visit our TB medications page for information on drug shortages.
Washington State Department of Health works with local public health and primary care providers to eliminate TB in Washington, through prevention and treatment efforts. Contact us for more information.