WIC foods meet the special nutritional needs of pregnant, breastfeeding and postpartum moms, infants, and children up to 5 years old. WIC supports successful, long-term breastfeeding.
WIC provides a wide variety of healthy foods that includes:
- Whole grains
- Breakfast cereals fortified with iron and low in sugar
- Fruits and vegetables
- Low sodium and low-fat choices
- A variety of protein foods such as eggs, dried/canned beans, lentils, peanut butter and tofu
- Good sources of calcium, such as, milk, cheese, yogurt and fortified soy beverages
WIC's temporary increase for fruit and vegetable benefits is continuing through March 31, 2022. WIC participants will get more money for frozen and fresh fruits and vegetables each month.
Make a plan to use WIC fruit and vegetable benefits while this temporary increase lasts. Find recipes, tips, and ideas here.
The WIC Shopping Guide (PDF) is updated and available (January 2022):
- In the WICShopper app under “WIC Allowable Foods”;
- On the web
In addition, please read:
- A Letter to Families (PDF) – The letter shares changes to the guide and allowed package sizes.
- Letter to Families - view all languages
- Tips for Buying WIC Breakfast Cereal (PDF) – To help get the most out of your benefits.
- Tips for Buying WIC Breakfast Cereal - view all languages
- Printed Materials – If you want printed materials mailed to you, please call your WIC Clinic.
WIC provides the following foods:
- Baby Food
- Breakfast Cereal
- Canned Beans
- Dried Beans/Peas/Lentils
- Fruits and Vegetables
- Infant Formula
- Juice for Children
- Juice for Women
- Peanut Butter
- Soy Beverage
- Whole Grain Choices
You must buy the exact brands and sizes of foods from the approved WIC foods list. Not all foods on store shelves are WIC approved. If you need help while shopping:
- Use the WIC Shopping Guide to see what foods are approved and make a shopping list prior to shopping.
- Call the state WIC Nutrition Program office at 1-800-841-1410.
To help you have a positive shopping experience, view our Shopping with WIC page for tools, including the WIC Shopping Guide.